Leg 8 time allotment penalties?

For discussing and asking questions regarding the 2023 Cabot Trail Relay Race.

Moderator: gracemp

tellis344

Leg 8 time allotment penalties?

Post by tellis344 »

Hello, I hope everyone made it home safely from an awesome relay weekend!

Are there any other teams who had runners who ran leg #8 that finished 9:30 or below that were still charged with the 01:16:14 time(it looks as though the last 18 runners were charged with this time)? It seems a though the mat was pulled a bit early or timing was off? I know of people that finished under the 9:30 time allotment who were still penalized including our leg 8 teammate.
cesium133

Re: Leg 8 time allotment penalties?

Post by cesium133 »

Yes, this happened to us as well. Our Leg 8 runner ran below the 6-min km pace and didn't make the mat.
JohanneV

Post by JohanneV »

I'm one of the "victim". I noted that we started late by two to three minutes.
Arthurflach

Post by Arthurflach »

Yes this happened to Lalitha Flach who paced herself nicely at a 5:57 so as to just make the mat. She was very upset that it had been whisked away already and the last person to have crossed the mat had done so at the 5:45 pace time.

Cabot Trail Relay is rife with rules that we all follow. It seems unfair that the organization did not follow its own rules regarding the documented 6:00 pace cutoff time

Hopefully this will be looked at and rectified.
Arthurflach

Post by Arthurflach »

JohanneV wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:42 pm I'm one of the "victim". I noted that we started late by two to three minutes.
I just checked a number of Leg 8 runners Strava posts and can confirm that it did start 3 minutes late with all runners posting a 6:43 start time.
daalmo

Post by daalmo »

Leg 8 was scheduled to start at 1640 and leg 9 was scheduled to start at 17:55. That is 1 hour and 15 minutes that should be allowed for runners to finish. our leg 8 runner finished at 1:12 :52 (watch time) . 9:29 pace. still got a 5 minute penalty. Grrrr. Our runner was past the finish when Mark( race starter) sounded the horn for leg 9. I believe that Mark was trying to make up for the late leg 8 start. (ambulance issue). Nevertheless runners should be given credit for going all out to make the mat. After our runner crossed the leg 8 finish our runner spoke with the Atlantic Chip timer who said that essentially it was out of his hands about whether our runner would be given an actual time or a penalty time. Tough situation but hopefully our talented Grace from CTRR will figure it out. Overall we are fortunate to have such fun and great running despite the mishaps